Filling Your Soul with the Good Word of God

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sharing the Gospel Using the Internet

This last Sunday I was privileged to speak in the Dillon 2nd ward. Knowing that I would soon be getting involved with our missions new online proselyting pilot program I wanted to let the members know why I would be online and how they could help.
   I based my talk off of a commencement address given at Brigham Young University–Hawaii in 2007 by Elder M.Russel Ballard titled: Sharing the Gospel Using the Internet (link below). In this talk he asks an important question of how will we use Facebook, blogs, Twitter, and the Internet in general to share the gospel? As a missionary and a big user of the internet I see why the church would be pushing for church members to get on line and share their testimonies with others. This month's Ensign focuses on mormon.org and how it was created for the 6 billion people in the world to be able to meet a Mormon and in a way have a conversation with one. Elder Ballard said we need to join the conversation "There are conversations going on about the Church constantly. Those conversations will continue whether or not we choose to participate in them. But we can not stand on the sidelines while others, including our critics, attempt to define what the Church teaches."
    I believe this is the first and easiest step to member missionary work. So my challenge to everyone would be to follow the counsel of Elder Ballard, join the conversation. Create a mormon.org profile, share gospel related things on blogs, in emails, and on Facebook and Twitter. You never know when you may plant a seed or get someone asking questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...