Filling Your Soul with the Good Word of God

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

15 A Day, Keeps Satan Away

When I was in seminary during high school we were challenged to read from the scriptures for 15 minutes a day. Now 15 minutes a day out of 1440 minutes in a day is not that much but some how I struggled with this. It always seemed easier to sit down and watch TV, mess around online or with friends. I went in spurts through my four years of high school where I would be consistently reading and then not so much. I could some how never make it a lasting habit. It for some reason took a reading contest in seminary my senior year with the winner receiving food to motivate me. I was able to gain a lot more than food though, I gained a habit of daily scripture study. One that continued to grow to the point now where I love to set aside an hour a day I have to study in the mission field.
    I had always known scripture study was important but until it became a want to instead of a need to or a have to did I realize the power behind the words of God. It became easier to understand the stories and teachings as I read. It became easier to feel the spirit that scripture study brought which made it easier to apply what I was learning to my life.
    Satan has a great hold upon many of our Heavenly Father's children. He's gained this hold by doing as it says in 2 Nephi 28:26 "the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell." By convincing people that the basics of the gospel, church, prayer, and scripture study are not priorities in life he can carefully lead us away from those key faith builders, he will surely lead us to "misery and endless wo"(Helaman 5:12). He looks for ways to take away the spirit and then attacks us.
    Now referring to the picture above how do you think scripture reading could have changed Darth Vader's life? Do you think that instead of the evil spirit that tempted him to try to persuade his son Luke to join the dark side that he would have followed the good spirit? Maybe even encouraged his son to attend his priesthood meetings where he could truly learn how to use the force? I think the difference spiritually that 15 minutes a day of scripture reading would have brought to Darth would have changed a lot of events in his life. The same applies to our lives.
   Can you imagine the power the spirit would bring to the world that could defeat Satan if all of us would read our scriptures every day? The old saying goes "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" Well I testify that 15 a day will keep Satan away! If not out of the world at least out of our homes, families, and our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...